Thursday, April 01, 2010

Have ears, won't hear

These are the people that I spend the most time and most energy on - Primary 1B. They train my patience every single day. After prolonged inner torment in Term 1, God has been gracious in giving me more patience for them this term.. There are times I can't help but smile but their funny antics. Looking at the genuine joy that is plastered on their faces makes me smile uncontrollably.

Look how radiant their faces are after receiving sponsored milk from Marigold.

The main gripe of most teachers would be that the children are not listening. I always tell my class, "God gave you 2 ears and 1 mouth. Please listen more than you talk." Alas, I discovered that having 2 ears doesn't mean they listen to you. A spiritual analogy dawned on me only today, and when Jesus said "those who have ears, let him hear", it is so apt!

In my class, there are 4 types of children:

1) Hear what I say, Understand what I say, and Do what I say.
2) Hear what I say, Understand what I say, yet chooses not to do what I say.
3) Appear to hear what I say, but the brain is totally blank/ distracted (must be in lala land..), and obviously, lost and clueless after that..
4) Talk, talk, and talk. Ears should be chopped off.

I realized that as a hearer of the Holy Spirit's voice, I can fit into any of these 4 categories too! Sadly, category 3 and 4 are common in my life because of distractions. When I am lost and clueless, it's because I haven't been listening!

If I, a mere human, feel exasperated and desperate for my kids to listen to me, how much more our Father in heaven? Everyday, I plead with them to "LISTEN!". Sometimes, drastic measures are required to make sure they are using their ears well - raising the voice, snapping the fingers, tapping them, or staring at them straight in the face until they wake up from their dreams. I'm sure our Creator God is more creative than all these to get us to listen.

If only we will listen, then life would not feel so clueless and directionless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home